***Attendance by invitation only***
Thank you for your interest in South Pointe Middle School’s 2020 Title 1 STEAM Summer School! Our program is specifically designed to support and maintain the academic development of our Title 1 students over the extended summer break. This year’s summer school experience will be truly exciting and unique! Our summer school staff have been working extremely hard to create a project-based, distance learning program that engages students while developing their achievement in Language Arts and Math through the Engineering lens of the STEAM curriculum. Over the course of four weeks, students will be learning about the innovative field of Mechanical Engineering. One of the most diverse and versatile engineering fields, mechanical engineering is the study of objects and systems in motion. Mechanical engineering touches virtually every aspect of modern life. Students will have the opportunity to build and enhance their own designs of a variety of hands-on engineering projects!
The following information is provided to assist you in planning for your child’s participation in this exciting summer program:
- SPMS 2020 STEAM Summer School is offered for entering 7th and 8th-grade Title students.
- The program is offered to selected students free of charge.
- Students will need a laptop or Chromebook with an internet connection to participate in online learning. If your student does not have a device or internet connection, please inform Mr. Lewis as soon as possible.
- Classes will be a hybrid of synchronous (real-time) and asynchronous (recorded) virtual instruction and will be conducted Monday through Thursday from Monday, June 8, 2020, through Thursday, July 2, 2020.
- Classes start at 9:00 am and end at 12:30 p.m.
- Even though this a distance learning program, students will be required to follow a regular daily schedule (posted below)
- Every Monday from 8:00 to 8:45 am, we are asking parents to pick-up a weekly project kit for their student at South Pointe Middle School. We will host a drive-thru pick-up. In accordance with social distancing guidelines, parents and students will remain in their cars for project distribution. Please allow yourself enough time to return home for the 9:00 am start time.