If a student rides a bike to school, the bicycle must be walked while on the school grounds or in the parking area. Bikes must be parked and locked in the bike rack upon arrival.
Large sums of money, laser pens, skateboards, scooters, roller blades, IPods, MP3 and CD players, radios, electronic devices and games, pagers, toys, and chewing gum are not permitted on the school campus.
According to Board Policy, cellular phones are not permitted to be on during school hours. Cellular phones that are turned on during school hours will be confiscated and must be picked up by a parent or guardian. Cellular phones may only be used after school outside the gates of campus.
CLEAN CAMPUS AND VANDALISM
South Pointe students and staff are proud of their school and that pride is reflected in how the campus looks. The appearance of our school has a great deal to do with the excellent reputation our school enjoys. It is the responsibility of each of us to help keep the campus clean. If you see litter on campus, please be thoughtful enough to pick it up and dispose of it properly.
Careless disposal of gum in drinking fountains, on furniture and carpets presents sanitation, cleaning, problems and costly repair. Therefore, gum chewing is not permitted anywhere on the school grounds. Students who engage in gum-chewing on the school grounds will receive detention.
Vandalism will be regarded as a serious offense. If you vandalize the school your parents will be held financially liable for the damage.
Students who are eligible for extracurricular activities may attend the after school dances which are sponsored by ASB. Dances for 7th and 8th grade students will begin at 2:25 p.m. and end at 3:40 p.m. Students may not leave campus and return to the dance. Students may not leave the dance without parent permission. Students must be picked up after the dance by 4:00 or they will not be permitted to attend the next scheduled after school activity.
South Pointe Middle School serves a diverse population of students in grades 6, 7, and 8. Our staff recognizes the unique characteristics of developing adolescents. Our primary objective is to provide an environment that promotes academic and social growth, fosters positive self-esteem, and motivates students to be successful.
In our efforts to help students develop greater personal responsibility, we have established a policy that defines those academic and behavioral standards necessary to participate in school activities and programs.
• Students must maintain a minimum 2.0 academic grade point average. For those students wishing to be team members in South Pointe's After-School Sports program, a grade point average of 2.0 must be maintained, along with acceptable behavior.
• Students receiving 2 or more Academic Deficiency Notifications are ineligible.
• Students must maintain fewer than 9 citizenship points after totaling their 3 highest citizenship marks.
• Students suspended from school as a disciplinary consequence are ineligible, pending review.
Procedures Regarding Eligibility
• The Eligibility Policy applies to sports, dances, play productions, and events that entail participation after school hours, including attending extra curricular events.
• Eligibility for attendance at regular club meetings is dependent upon the discretion of the individual club advisor(s) and the SSRA.
During earthquake emergency drills, each student is to drop to the floor beneath a desk, chair, table or bench with his/her back to any windows. If no cover is near, get close to a bearing wall. If a student is outside in the open, drop to the ground. Cover the back of the head and neck with a coat, sweater, notebook, or hands. Wait for further signals and/or instructions from a staff member.