Mrs. Swanberg's Home Page 6th and 7th Grade
Dear Parents & Students,
Welcome to South Pointe Middle School and 6th grade Earth Science! The goal of all the teachers in our Science Department is to help you develop an active interest in how science influences your daily life. Instead of asking, “Why are we learning this?” we hope you use the scientific concepts and skills learned in this class to better understand the world around you.
Our textbook used this year will be Holt Earth Science. This will not be the sole source of information. You will also be asked to use the internet for reference and research. All students are expected to take notes, complete handouts & participate in labs and activities in order to achieve the best grade possible!
MAJOR UNITS OF STUDY: Introduction to Earth Science, Earth’s Resources, Plate Tectonics and Earth Structure, Shaping Earth’s Surface, Earth’s Oceans and Atmosphere
SUGGESTED SUPPLIES - Each student will benefit by having the following supplies
EVERYDAY in class!!
3-prong paper/plastic folders with pockets Access to the internet (can be used on SPMS campus) Glue Stick Agenda (initially supplied by SPMS) White loose leaf lined paper (No spiral bound paper) Colored Pencils Pencils & Pens (black, blue & red) Black fine point Outlining Pen (Not permanent marker) Highlighter (any color) An Independent reading book
HOMEWORK IS NOT AN OPTION - Homework is a valuable aid because it reinforces what is being taught in class. We ask that parents help make homework a positive experience by making it a top priority. Please check your teacher’s page on our school website (http://southpointe.wvusd.k12.ca.us) for information on our daily classwork and homework. The following are guidelines for completing homework assignments:
- All homework must be legible, completed in pencil or pen which may be blue or black only, (NO milky, pastel, or gel pens accepted) and turned in on time.
- Students are responsible for making up ANY work missed due to absences (including school activities) and completing it within the number of days he/she was absent plus one day - Ask your teacher how and when to make up lab and/or video assignments.
- ALWAYS WRITE YOUR HOMEWORK IN YOUR AGENDA daily – this in YOUR responsibility. This counts as a grade. J
If you choose to not do homework (or not properly follow the above guidelines), the following consequences will occur:
- Lowering of grade on assignments turned in late. One day late = 50% off total earned points.
- No name papers = 50%. Incomplete papers = 50%. Any work not meeting expectations will result in a lowered score or a zero.
- Phone call and/or email notification and/or missing homework notice
B = 80-89%
C = 70-79%
D = 60-69%
F= Less than 60%
GRADING - Your grade is based on what you earn during the grading period. There will be some extra credit assignments. HOWEVER, please do not rely on this as a last minute option to improve your grade. Your final grade is a determined by the following:
- Classwork/Homework/Computers: 25% 2. Quizzes/Journals/ Projects/Activities: 30% 3. Tests: 45%
- Be on time, on task, and prepared to learn everyday
- Personal electronics for educational purposes only (phones out at anytime, anywhere on campus, WITHOUT permission will be confiscated)
- Be responsible for your own learning
- Respect the teacher, the classroom & other students
- Make the classroom one you’d like to learn in – clean it up if needed
CONSEQUENCES - If a student chooses not to follow a rule, the following will occur:
- 1st time student breaks rule: Warning
- 2nd time student breaks rule: Citizenship infraction, note emailed or sent home, lose passing time or detention
- 3rd time student breaks rule: Afterschool detention assigned – parent notification by student
4th time student breaks rule: Referral to counselor
If a student is severely disruptive, he or she will be sent immediately to the office (counselor/VP) and/or receive a detention.
Cheating & forgery will not be tolerated. Cheating is defined as copying another’s work AND/OR allowing someone to copy off your paper. If caught, ALL parties involved will receive the following consequences:
- No credit on assignment Detention & Parent notification
- Possible referral to counselor Possible notation in the student’s permanent record
Included in this discipline plan are ways to positively reinforce students who behave appropriately. Rewards may include classroom chance tickets, Core Reward, Student of the Month assemblies, Panther Pride tickets, etc.
In order to make this a successful & productive year, we need your support. Please discuss this letter with your child to ensure his/her complete understanding of the expectations & procedures of 6th grade Earth Science.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us (emails works the best). Thank you for your support & let’s make this a great year!
6th Grade South Pointe Science Teachers
Student/Staff Allergy Concerns: Over the past several years I have had students in my classroom who have had allergic reactions to strong scents. I personally have severe allergies to scents. For this reason please do not bring to school or wear any scented lotions, scented sprays such as AXE, scented hand sanitizers, or scented deodorant. These items should not be in the backpack as we have experienced them opening and causing allergic reactions. Your support and cooperation will help to ensure the well-being and safety of myself, the students, and staff in my classroom.